Location: Greater Toronto Area
PBI Actuarial Consultants Ltd. is currently seeking an Actuarial Analyst to join our Greater Toronto Area (Burlington) team.
PBI is an employee-owned Canadian firm with offices in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.
PBI is a firm that specializes in providing pension, benefit and investment consulting services for the private and public sector, multi-employer and jointly trusteed pension plans and benefit plans. For more information about PBI, please see our website: www.pbiactuarial.ca.
The GTA office offers opportunities beyond traditional actuarial pension consulting. Being the company’s youngest location, the Pension Actuarial Analyst will work closely with a small dynamic team to serve our growing client base. As a result, you will be exposed to unique actuarial work and have the opportunity to work directly with clients. You will also have the opportunity to support the firm in a variety of interesting projects ranging from research, innovation, marketing, and growth.
A unique work environment
PBI’s work philosophy is based on open-mindedness and the active involvement of all its associates.
In fact, our company encourages growth both on a personal and professional level inside a healthy, respectful learning environment. More specifically, our core values are cooperation, self-sufficiency for teams as well as individuals, dedication towards our clients and our Company, development of skills, confidentiality, efficiency, creativity, thoughtful decision-making, precision and synergy.
Tasks and responsibilities
To fulfill this role, the individual will:
- Prepare actuarial valuations for pension plans, including gain and loss analysis
- Program and develop liabilities using actuarial principles, including running test cases
- Value liabilities under various plan design scenarios and for special costings
- Collect and analyze plan experience data for input into assumptions
- Complete and/or review asset and data reconciliations
- Prepare and validate membership data to be used for actuarial valuations for pension/benefit plans
- Produce and/or review pension benefit calculations or any other documents pertaining to pension plan administration
- Prepare power-point presentations to share with clients
- Communicate with clients and external providers on day-to-day benefit administration issues
- Draft reports and other various internal or client documents
- Interpret and apply pension plan texts, administrative policies and related legislation
- Provide assistance for any related work or special projects
- Develop routine client correspondence
- Assist with market research
- Be part of a dynamic team motivated to bring new ideas and solutions to clients and prospective clients
- University degree in actuarial science, statistics, mathematics or finance
- 0 to 2 years of experience within the field
- Desire to qualify as an ACIA or FCIA
- Proficient in computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrates attention to detail and is well organized
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Able to manage priorities and work on several simultaneous projects within strict deadlines
- Strongly dedicated to keeping clients satisfied
- Able to easily adapt to a new work environment
- Is a team player, yet is self-sufficient and shows initiative
- An independent worker who likes a quieter office environment
- Able to work within a smaller office
Terms and conditions of employment
- Permanent position
- 40-hour weekly schedule
- Salary will be based on experience and our internal policy in force
- Enrolment in extended health benefits and company pension plan
- Enrolment in PBI’s actuarial exam program, which covers exam and study material costs as well as providing study time support
- Starting date: January 2022 or earlier
Those who would like to apply must send their resume along with a cover letter to Laura Grant:
Deadline: October 31, 2021