We are seeking a Pension Actuarial Analyst to join our Vancouver team.
PBI is an employee-owned Canadian firm. It is based in Vancouver and it also operates an office in Montreal and Toronto.
PBI is a firm that specializes in providing pension, benefit and investment consulting services for private and public sector, multi-employer and jointly trusteed pension plans and benefit plans.
A unique work environment
PBI’s work philosophy is based on open-mindedness and the active involvement of all its associates.
In fact, our company encourages growth both in a personal and professional level inside a healthy, respectful learning environment. More specifically, our core values are cooperation, self-sufficiency for teams as well as individuals, dedication towards our clients and our Company, development of skills, confidentiality, efficiency, creativity, thoughtful decision-making, precision and synergy.
Tasks and responsibilities
To fulfill this role, the individual will:
- Produce and/or review pension benefit calculations or any other documents pertaining to pension plan administration
- Complete and/or review asset and data reconciliations
- Prepare and validate membership data to be used for actuarial valuations for pension plans
- Prepare actuarial valuations for pension plans including gain and loss analysis
- Program and develop liabilities using actuarial principles including running test cases
- Value liabilities under various plan design scenarios and for special costings
- Collect and analyze plan experience data for input into assumptions
- Attend client meetings
- Draft reports, presentations and other various internal or client documents
- Interpret and apply pension plan texts, administrative policies and related legislation
- Provide assistance for any related work or special project
- Develop routine client correspondence
- University degree in actuarial science, statistics, mathematics or finance
- Desire to qualify as an ACIA or FCIA
- Proficient in computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Has experience with computer programming
- Demonstrates attention to detail and is well organized
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Able to manage priorities and work on several simultaneous projects within strict deadlines
- Strongly dedicated to keeping clients satisfied
- Able to easily adapt in a new work environment
- Is a team player, yet is self-sufficient and shows initiative
Terms and conditions of employment
- Permanent position
- 40 hour weekly schedule
- Salary will be based on experience and our internal policy in force
- Enrolment in extended health benefits and company pension plan
- Enrolment in PBI’s actuarial exam program which covers exam and study material costs as well as providing study time support
- Starting date: Flexible, within 2018
Those who would like to apply must send their resume along with a cover letter to Laura Grant:
Deadline: September 30, 2018