The Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) are an initiative of the United Nations. In 2005, major global investors were invited to develop a set of general principles for good conduct with a focus on responsible investment.
The PRI can be summed up in 6 Principles
- We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
“The Principles for Responsible Investment aim to help integrate consideration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues by institutional investors into investment decision-making and ownership practices, and thereby improve long-term returns to beneficiaries.”(Excerpted from Principles for Responsible Investment, UN).
The following publication is a summary of reports from the UN PRI and the RIA on responsible investing in the world and in Canada.
Please click on the link to download it in PDF format: